The Melodie did not exist in the first version of the opera Orphée et Eurydice Wq. 30. It was added to the revised version that was published in 1774, Wq.41. It appears in Act II, second scene, titled 'Chor der seligen Geister in Elysium' or Dance of the Blessed Spirits in Elysium. The melody is played on the flute, accompanied by a string orchestra.